This room was so named in memory of Louis XII’s visit to the Château in 1503. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it was used as a study in which Prince Henri-Amédée de Broglie conducted his day-to-day business.
The furniture, which is in a variety of styles and from a variety of periods, is evocative of the Historicist style (an artistic movement that drew its sources and inspiration from the past while favouring a rational approach). Two remarkable pieces of furniture, on long-term loan from the Mobilier National, call the room’s purpose to mind: a bookcase and work cabinet in black wood with bone inlay from the second half of the 19th century.
The polychrome decoration on the panelling, walls and ceiling dates from the 1850s. It calls to mind a number of the Domain of Chaumont’s past owners, as is the case with Charles II de Chaumont-Amboise’s interlaced double “C” and the initials “C.A.T.”, Catherine’s, intertwined with the “M” of the Medici family.